Apple Wallet as well as Google Pay and Wallet Passes on Android support location based notifications. By default a user can control if the push notification is shown or not by using the settings on the pass itself or in the settings of his device.
Location based notifications on iOS
The following prerequisites must be met so iOS will show location based push notifications
- the battery level of the device must be 40% or higher
- Location services must be enabled for the Wallet app (Look at the settings of your iPhone)
- Lockscreen notifications for Wallet must be allowed (Settings --> Notifications --> Wallet)
- On the back of the pass the setting "Show on lock screen" must be enabled. This is the default setting.
- If you've enabled iBeacon notifications, Bluetooth must be enabled because it is used to trigger the notifications.
The settings mentioned above are default settings which means you can expect most user to already have them enabled. In general iOS devices are only checking the current location from time to time. If you're visiting a place for the first time it might take some time until the notification is triggered.
Troubleshooting location based notifications on iOS
If location based notifications on iOS aren't shown, check the following things:
- Enable WiFi. iPhones are using WiFi networks to improve the accuracy of location services. Enabling WiFi can therefore help to improve the quality even if you're not connected to a network.
- Make sure that location services are enabled on your iPhone in general (check the Settings of your iPhone)
- If the place for the notification is in an area with bad mobile connection it can help to use iBeacons to trigger notification as an alternative.
Location based notifications on Android
The following prerequisites must be met to display location based notifications on Android
- Location services must be enabled
- The Wallet Passes app must be allowed to use the location of your device (Settings --> Apps --> Passes --> Permissions)
- On the back of the pass "Show on lock screen" must be enabled.